The other day, I was reading one of the daily blogs I read, Eat Live Run, by Jenna Weber. For her 27th birthday she posted a list of 27 things she would have liked her former self to know. Though my 27th birthday is months away, I liked the idea enough to create my own list of lessons I’ve learned in my mid/late twenties that I wish my early twenty-something self would have known.
Here it is:
1. Life is too short to settle in work, friendship, and love.
2. The old adage “time heals all wounds” is true.
3. Spend time with your girlfriends. They make life worthwhile.
4. Try to approach a problem from the other person’s point of view.
5. Be picky. It’s a good thing.
6. Those cute heels you want? Buy them.
7. On that note…start a savings account and save a portion of each paycheck. You never know when it will come in handy.
8. Don’t take anything personally.
9. Work your way through college. You won’t regret having fewer student loans.
10. If a guy wants to be with you, he will make it happen.
11. Be patient with your parents. They love you, even if they don’t show it in the same way you do.
12. If you want unconditional love, get a dog.
13. Relationships can last…if you’re willing to put in a lot of hard work.
14. With that said, make sure you choose a good partner to put in the hard work with.
15. Learn how to stand on your own two feet. Don’t depend on others for happiness.
16. The only way to learn how to depend on yourself is to truly spend some time alone.
17. Your life’s happiness is in your hands. It’s up to you to change the course of your life.
18. Happiness isn’t a constant state of elation. If you chase that, you will forever be dissappointed.
20. Read, it’s important.
21. Tough times don’t last but tough people do
22. Keep an open mind. Be accepting of others and their viewpoints.
23. Never stop learning and changing
24. Be intentional, you’ll like the outcome more
25. Be spontaneous. You’ll be surprised at the experiences you find.
26. Be loyal. Others will notice and return the favor.
27. You are beautiful just the way you are.